Visiting Elective Diversity Scholarship
The UCLA Department of Emergency Medicine recognizes the importance of having a diverse workforce that reflects the patient population we serve, provides culturally sensitive care, and addresses healthcare disparities. The UCLA Emergency Medicine Visiting Elective Diversity Scholarship Program is intended to provide financial support to fourth-year U.S. medical students with an interest in fostering workforce diversity in healthcare professions and in completing a UCLA Emergency Medicine Sub-Internship (EM 320.01). The goal of the program is to promote student interest in applying to the UCLA/Olive View Emergency Medicine Residency Program by exposing these students to our dynamic clinical and academic environment.
Eligibility: All students with a commitment to efforts fostering workforce diversity in healthcare professions are encouraged to apply, in particular, those coming from groups that are underrepresented in medicine (UIM).
- Expose fourth year medical students to the opportunities in an academic emergency medicine training program at UCLA.
- Guide and support medical students who plan to pursue a career in emergency medicine.
- Provide scholarship funding to enable a student to travel and experience our rotation in Los Angeles, CA.
Our clinical emergency medicine clerkship at UCLA includes experience at both our university medical center (Ronald Reagan UCLA) and our county hospital (Olive View-UCLA). We offer a 3 or 4 week rotation for qualified fourth year medical students interested in pursuing a career in emergency medicine.
Our clerkship provides candidates with an excellent clinical experience at a world-renowned academic medical center and a busy county hospital. It is a challenging and fun rotation with clinical shifts at two sites. Candidates will have the opportunity to be the primary provider for acutely ill patients, to actively participate in traumas and resuscitations at our level 1 trauma center, to perform a variety of procedures, and to attend weekly didactic conferences.
Who should apply?Applicants must:
- Be a fourth year medical student
- Plan to match into Emergency Medicine
- Be in good academic standing at an accredited US medical school
- Meet all standard VSAS application requirements for the EM320.01 elective
- Be able to rotate at UCLA between June 2018 and October 2018
- Application materials are required at least 60 days prior to the desired rotation start dates.
- Complete the VSAS application for the UCLA Ronald Reagan/Olive View Emergency Medicine Clerkship. See the visiting student requirements for the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA here
- Complete the separate VEDS application here
- Include a personal essay: Please indicate why you are interested in the UCLA Emergency Medicine Residency Program for your training (300 words or less).
Competitive applicants will have demonstrated:
- Academic achievement (indicated by transcripts and letter of recommendation)
- Leadership experience as indicated by activities included in the CV
- Commitment to pursuing a career in academic emergency medicine
- An interest in diversity, health disparities, or serving underserved populations
The scholarship of $1,500 is a reimbursement intended to defray travel expenses such as transportation and lodging. Scholarship funds will be awarded after both the first day of the rotation and submission of appropriate receipts.
Participation in this program guarantees an interview for our residency program, but does not guarantee a position.
If you have any questions, please contact Clerkship Coordinator, Corazon Corona, at email@example.com.