4th Year Clerkship
Our clerkship in emergency medicine at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and the Olive View-UCLA Medical Center is four weeks long and structured to allow students to have a truly diverse clinical experience at a both an academic tertiary care medical center and a busy county hospital. Students will spend half of the rotation at each site seeing all types of patients with emergency conditions supervised by our EM residents and faculty. For guidance throughout this process, students will be paired with EM physicians during each shift including dedicated senior teaching residents on many shifts.
In addition to an outstanding clinical experience, students will benefit from didactic lectures and case conferences, practicing in our state-of-the-art simulation laboratory, receive ultrasound teaching, and four to five hours of weekly Emergency Medicine Residency Conference. Students who are considering emergency medicine as a specialty will be offered a resident “big sib” as well the opportunity to meet with residency faculty. Students will receive a comprehensive orientation packet in advance of the rotation, as well as the date and time of in-person orientation.
For a course description, please click here
Our course number is EM320.01
Apply to the Clerkship
This popular UCLA elective tends to fill, especially during July to December, when emergency medicine bound students wish to have the UCLA Ronald Reagan/Olive View Emergency Medicine experience. Therefore, summer blocks are reserved for students planning a career in EM. We encourage non-UCLA students to submit their application as soon as possible after this opening date. Our standard rotation length is 4-weeks, however, we will consider 3-week rotations on a case by case basis.
Visiting US Medical Students for the Remainder of the 2020-21 Academic Year: For the remainder of the 2021 academic year (ending June 30, 2021), away rotations are discouraged, except under the following circumstances:
- Students who have a specialty interest and do not have access to training in that specialty in their home school’s system.
- Students eligible for an exception will be limited to 1 elective experience.
Visiting US Medical Students for the 2021-22 Academic Year: For the 2021-22 academic year, away rotations resume no earlier than July 12, 2021, with the following application dates:
- After April 15, 2021, eligible students may begin applying for in-person away rotations with a start date of July 12th or later.
- Students with home rotations in Emergency Medicine are still eligible to apply.
- The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA uses the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) for US medical students. In addition to the standard VSAS application, please submit a brief letter of intent to our Clerkship Coordinator, explaining your interest in the rotation, and career plans. This letter can be informal and does not have to be on letterhead, etc. Please limit the brief letter to 250 words.
For application information, please click here
If you have any questions, please contact Clerkship Coordinator, Corazon Corona, at email@example.com.
Natasha Wheaton, MD
Mark Morocco, MD
Associate Clerkship Director
UCLA Site Director
Tomer Begaz, MD
Associate Clerkship Director
Olive View Site Director
Stephen Villa, MD
Assistant Clerkship Director